Here you’ll find the ratings system I use for my reviews (nope, I don’t use numbers or stars)….please remember that these are my subjective opinions. If you disagree, that’s fine, just don’t flame me into cinders. Feel free to comment and try to change my mind. *grin*
- Top of the line, best of the best, must-reads, must re-reads, classic, will stand the test of time, a definite keeper
- Examples = the ImagineDome main series (though I’ll admit with the Wheel of Time series I’m mostly into the Aes Sedai), Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Earthsea Trilogy, Fionavar Tapestry
- Pretty freakin’ good, would merit a re-read now and then, you recommend it to friends, you don’t give away your copy
- Examples = Riddle-Master of Hed, The Belgariad/Mallorean, the Deryni series, The Name of the Wind, Mists of Avalon
- Basically good and decent reading, though there could be flaws or some other issue (e.g., slow, too much description, etc.) and you might not jump up and down for joy or find your jaw droppin’ in awe
- Examples = A Game of Thrones, A Song of Fire and Ice, The Sword of Shannara, the Pern books, Exiles trilogy
- So-so, something you’ll read if you don’t have anything better around, wouldn’t recommend to friends, average writing
- Examples = Legacies, Xanth series, Eragon, Spellsinger, Magyk, Last Herald Mage trilogy, the Elenium, The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
- Poor or worse, you had to struggle to read it and probably didn’t finish it, one to trade in at a used bookstore or use for the fire on a camping trip
- Examples = Gor books, Beauty, Jhereg, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion (ok…don’t freak out! included because they were no fun to read)
p.s. nope, I have not read any of the Harry Potter books yet. maybe someone can convince me to read them….the movies were lame; ‘Expelliarmus’ this!
Daphne Cochran-Shapiro is an Author & Poet, Designer & Crafter, and Entrepreneur. I invite you to browse and share your comments on my works!